Some quick ideas

From: Rotan Hanrahan <Rotan.Hanrahan@MobileAware.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:28:11 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

As AC Rep for Mobileaware, at the recent AC meeting I made some suggestions. Here they are, for your consideration. If you want clarifications, reply to the list and cc me directly.

--- If validator gives boolean result, then "false" is so negative that you are not encouraged to try again.
--- But if validator gives a ranking (e.g. percentage) then you are encouraged to improve your result. Eventually you get 100% and are conformant.

--- Validator should give tips to remedy non-conformant sites/pages based on analysis of non-conformant pages.

--- On-line validator should keep track of most common errors and feed results to WGs who are interested in improving authoring tools. (This could be *very* useful.)

--- Our s/w uses XHTML as its primary input, generating all kinds of output formats. Can we use W3C validator in our input pipeline?

Dr Rotan Hanrahan
Chief Innovations Architect
www.mobileaware.com