Re: validator missing an error

From: Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:07:32 -0500 (EST)
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

>> Oh, sorry I missed that detail. Seems that I had stop reading after
>> "(A-Za-z), digits". By the way, the validator says: "Error: an
>> attribute value must be quoted if it contains any character other
>> than letters(A-Za-z), digits, hyphens, and periods;", so colons and
>> underscores are not mentioned, but should be according to the above
>> URI.
>
> Yes, but see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.1.1.2
> The Validator would need a special error message for HTML 4.01
> documents

Then, yes, it does. I suppose that the validator already has a specific
rule for HTML 4.01 (or it would report unquoted colons and underscore as
an error; does it?) so I don't see the point. If it really is a problem
adding an error message for HTML 4.01, you maybe could just add " (and
possibly colons and underscores, depending on the HTML version)" to the
error message?

Anyway, I agree it doesn't really matter. Let's quote everything and
there's no problem :)

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/