Re: Bug: DOCTYPE upeercase vs. lowercase

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 03:13, Nick Kew wrote:

> > Can anyone tell me why the DOCTYPE etc. must be in UPPER CASE for the
> > 3WC validation?
>
> Because that's the SGML rules.  A validator that didn't complain when
> presented with an invalid document wouldn't be much use.

Is it really so?  AFAIK in *SGML* document type declarations, the only
case-sensitive part is the public identifier string..  In X(HT)ML, the
case rules are a lot stricter(/better).  So all these would be equally
valid (but I see no reason not to follow the XML doctype declaration
rules, ie. the first or last of the following examples, depending on the
case of the root "html" element, and appended with a system id):

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
<!DocType hTmL pUBliC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

Please prove me wrong, really!  I'd love to see good pointers to
refererences where this is cleary spelled out in some (SGML) spec.

So, IMO this is a limitation in the validator (and is already reported
as a bug in the beta test).

> > I use Netscape spellchecker which changes all coding to lowercase
>
> That sounds like a serious bug.

Indeed.

--
\/ille Skyttä