Why does it say ALL images need alt tags?

From: Aziz Matar <matar84@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:43:32 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
I can understand how alt tags help, but for some images that are used as part of the sites navigation, for example, a small 10x10 square that is used to draw a curve and placed on the corner of your tables for decoration, why does the validator want alt tags on those? I hate that I cant make the page validate as XHTML 1.0 because my navigation images do not have alt tags and I do not want to give them any. :-( Any ideas to work around this?

P.S. Yes I understand the validator cannot tell the difference between regular images and images used as part of the layout.