Re: Bug: DOCTYPE upeercase vs. lowercase

From: Kevin Reddigan <kreddigan@roadrunner.nf.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:09:29 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I have experienced the same problem but I have not seen an answer posted

Can anyone tell me why the DOCTYPE etc. must be in UPPER CASE for the
3WC validation?

I use Netscape spellchecker which changes all coding to lowercase but
then my page won't pass the 3WC HTML 4.01 validation test.

Am I missing something ??

Thanks.

Kevin

Failure results *************************************

Line 1, column 0:
  <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.01 transitional//en">
  ^Error: entity was defined here

Fatal Error: unrecognized {{DOCTYPE}}; unable to check document

I could not parse this document, because it uses a public identifier
that is not in my catalog.

You should make the first line of your HTML document a DOCTYPE
declaration, for example, for a typical HTML 4.01 document:

      <HTML>
 <HEAD>
   <TITLE>Title</TITLE>
 </HEAD>