Re: Beta [RFE]: the validator should take into account Mime-type discrepancies

From: Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:44:56 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux:

> The current Beta validator doesn't signal as fault a mime-type
> discrepancy such as the one for http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/. Namely,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/ is served as text/html while it's using
> XHTML 1.1 which is not compatible with text/html, but the validator
> doesn't complain at all:
> http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2Fxhtml11%2F

> I think a warning or better an error would be in order.

Actually what is needed the most are clear and definite rules about
media types for XHTML (1.0 and 1.1). As yet no such rules have been
issued by W3C or anyone else.

The only thing we have is the document "XHTML Media Types",
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/>, but that is just a W3C Note,
and it explicitly says: "this document is not intended to be a normative
specification". It also says: "Publication of this Note by W3C indicates
no endorsement by W3C or the W3C Team, or any W3C Members."

So at most a warning could be issued.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net> <http://www.bertilow.com>