Re: Beta: XHTML 1.0 in XML Schema

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 02:42:26 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0006@earth.li>

Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0006@earth.li> wrote:

>At 2002-11-03T00:27+0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:-
>
>>in the second example. The validator however refuses to read the
>>external subset and thus claims the document to be invalid. What
>>legitimates the validator refusing to read the external subset?
>
>It does read *an* external subset. Unfortunately, the document uses
>public and system identifiers that identify different entities. Perhaps
>it would be useful for the validator to download a DTD using the system
>identifier (if it isn't one it expects) even if it has a local copy it
>can use, and complain if they are different.

That's not really feasible for any number of reasons (m12n among them!),
but, yes, it would be a good thing to do if it were possible to implement
it. What /may/ happen at some point is that we may check whether the SI is
the "Well Known URI" for that particular FPI and warn if it isn't.

--
Interviewer: "In what language do you write your algorithms?"
    Abigail: English.