Re: Beta: XHTML 1.0 in XML Schema

* Terje Bless wrote:
>Defining things in the internal subset does not automatically invalidate it
>as XHTML 1.0. It /may/ invalidate it, but we are talking about a grey area
>here, and a fairly big one at that. Your latter snippet _is_ invalid, no
>question about it. It includes attributes that are not defined anywhere in
>the Document Type Declaration, whereas the former _does_ define them; in
>the Internal Subset of the Document Type Declaration.

No, both documents are valid, the additional attribute declarations are
in the external subset in the first example and in the internal subset
in the second example. The validator however refuses to read the
external subset and thus claims the document to be invalid. What
legitimates the validator refusing to read the external subset?

>What your first snippet does is extend the Document Type Declaration, which
>isn't expressly forbidden by the XHTML 1.0 Recommendation BTW, but it does
>so in a way which is sanctioned, suggested even, by a Note (with all that
>that does and doesn't imply, cf. "endorsement" etc. in it's disclaimer).

I asked the HTML WG for clarification on what extensions of the document
type definition are allowed. XHTML 1.0 Second Edition now says

  5) The DTD subset must not be used to override any parameter entities
     in the DTD.

Nothing else. I asked again for clarification (I mostly cared whether I
am allowed to use custom entity declarations in scrictly conforming
documents and in how far this is allowed in text/html documents) but got
no response. I then asked again, got a little misread and thus still
don't have a response. So let's ask again, for both documents

  http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/xhtml1-schema-inline.html
  http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/xhtml1-schema.html

  * Is this document a valid XHTML 1.0 Strict document?
  * Is it a Strictly Conforming XHTML 1.0 Strict document?
  * Does it follow the compatiblity guidelines
    of XHTML 1.0 and thus may be delivered as text/html?

>Further, it's outside the scope of the Validator!

Validity is never out of scope of a validator.