Re: validating TDC in XHTML

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:06:58 -0700
To: Jan Lettens <jlettens@pandora.be>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
scripsit Jan Lettens:

>    Apparently, the XHTM validator doesn't accept TDC (tabular data
>    control) attributes used for TABLE tags such as TD.

They are not part of any XHTML DTD, so the validator is correct in
calling them invalid.  Check the XHTML DTDs and the definition of
`valid' in the XML recommendation.

>    Should I give up on XHTML or did I do something wrong ?
[...]
>    PS: I have really tried all kind of groups, but TDC is very little
>    known, although an excellent DHTML object from MSFT.

Whether they are `excellent' or not is not relevant to the fact that
they are not (X)HTML -- and will not work with any standards-compliant
browser, only with Microsoft's proprietary software.

What you `should' do is a personal choice, but I would urge you to give
up on proprietary markup, not on validity and standards compliance.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul