Re: Microsoft Word from Office 2000 `HTML' fails to validate

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:18:02 -0700
To: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
scripsit John Murdie:
> Surely this is a FAQ, but I've just found that the `HTML' output of
> Microsoft Word doesn't validate with either the W3C or WDG validators:

You are correct.  Microsoft Word does not output valid HTML, nor does
any Microsoft product of which I am aware.

There used to be a program called the "demoronizer" which would clean up
MSHTML to create something approximating valid HTML, but I don't know if
it has kept up with recent versions of MS Office.  The best way to get
valid HTML from MS Word files is to save as plain text (ASCII or
Unicode) and add the markup by hand.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul