Re: checklink: false 404 warnings

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:16:47 -0700
To: Tom Nixon <tom.nixon@aim23.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
scripsit Tom Nixon:

> Yes, the first page returns no errors, but when you check linked
> documents it reports some 404s. If you click the supposedly broken link
> the page is actually there.

O<, here's the problem.  It's a server misconifguration on your end.

Take, for example, the `Our Work' stylesheet [1].  If you send the
server at www.aim23.com a HTTP GET request, it serves you the file.  If
you send it a HTTP HEAD request, it returns 404, which is wrong.  The
link checker uses HEAD requests to reduce server load and network
traffic.

Unfortunately, you're using Microsoft IIS, so I can't offer any
suggestions on how to fix your server configuration.