Re: COMMENTS RE: W3C LINK CHECKER

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:43:32 +0100 (BST)
To: "Highsmith, Elizabeth E" <elizabeth.e.highsmith@boeing.com>
cc: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>, "Derykus, Charles E" <charles.e.derykus@boeing.com>, "Bowman, Gregory P" <gregory.p.bowman@boeing.com>, <gerald@w3.org>
On Tue, 7 May 2002, Highsmith, Elizabeth E wrote:

> I have ran several link checkers using the W3C Link Checker on some of the
> Web pages that I maintain and found it to be unhelpful and inaccurate.

You're running the link checker on a Boeing internal web page not
meant to be externally accessible, behind the Boeing firewall, on a
machine whose DNS is only propagated within Boeing.

No wonder a copy of the service located externally has problems.
Download and run your own internal link checker locally, inside your
own administrative domain.

L.

 The

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>