Undescriptive error message

From: Chris Sparrows <csparrows@clackamas.cc.or.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
While validating a page recently I was presented with the following uninformative error message:

Error: X

By eliminating all other elements on the page I eventually found that the problem was that I had a <label> on a form that referenced a non-existent id attribute.

This error message should to be updated to: Label FOR attribute refers to non-existent ID, or something like that.

Thanks for your time.

Below is the html that triggered this error.
- begin html document -
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/strict.dtd ">

<form method="post" action="/asp/sendmail.asp" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<label for="feedback">Feedback:</label>
<input type="text"></p>
<!--adding id="feedback" to the input tag fixes the error-->

- end html document -

Chris Sparrows
College Publications,
Clackamas Community College