Re: Possible bug in validator: noscript

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 10 May 2002 12:46:29 +0300
To: Will Woodhull <willw@wizzards.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 10:53, Will Woodhull wrote:

> I've joined because I believe there may be a bug in the W3C HTML validator:
> when I use a <noscript>...</noscript> construction in the head of a
> document, I get a cascade of errors on all meta tags and link tags that
> follow it-- these are all reported as not being in the right place.
> Additionally, the </head> tag generates the same error! the pages validate
> perfectly when it is removed.

A quick look at the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD reveals that NOSCRIPT is
a "block-like element" [1], and is not allowed in HEAD [2].  Thus, not a
validator bug IMO.

It seems that you could use the NOSCRIPT element in the BODY, but it
also seems that META is allowed in HEAD only :(

[1] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html#block>
[2] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html#head.content>

--
Ville Skyttä