Re: Accepting redundant xmlns declarations

From: John Levon <levon@movementarian.org>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 00:14:14 +0100
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:30:02PM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

> > is well-formed and valid, although the ns declaration is redundant.
>
> As XML, yes.  As HTML no.  This is one of those areas where XHTML
> is trying to conform to two mutually incompatible standards.

And failing it seems :)

> > This sort of output comes from docbook XML processed by xsltproc
>
> You can cure that by adjusting your stylesheet to put the xmlns
> attributes in the root element, or suppress it altogether.

The stylesheets require the xmlns on every element, according to
Norman Walsh. So I think this means the fault lies in xsltproc
for not supressing the declarations.

Thanks everybody
john

--
"So what you're saying is "screw the disabled" and you want us to do the
 same ?  No thanks..."