Re: Accepting redundant xmlns declarations

From: John Levon <levon@movementarian.org>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 00:14:14 +0100
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:30:02PM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

> > is well-formed and valid, although the ns declaration is redundant.
> As XML, yes.  As HTML no.  This is one of those areas where XHTML
> is trying to conform to two mutually incompatible standards.

And failing it seems :)

> > This sort of output comes from docbook XML processed by xsltproc
> You can cure that by adjusting your stylesheet to put the xmlns
> attributes in the root element, or suppress it altogether.

The stylesheets require the xmlns on every element, according to
Norman Walsh. So I think this means the fault lies in xsltproc
for not supressing the declarations.

Thanks everybody

"So what you're saying is "screw the disabled" and you want us to do the
 same ?  No thanks..."
	- Ian Hixie, bug 25537