Re: Short tags (or the missing `>' FAQ)

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:49:42 -0400
To: James Ralston <qralston+ml.www-validator@andrew.cmu.edu>
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 05/08/2002 at 14:56, qralston+ml.www-validator@andrew.cmu.edu (James Ralston) wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Andrew McFarland wrote:
>
> > I've just put up a couple of pages with demonstrations of short tags
> > in them
> >
> > http://delivery.unite.net/shorttags.html - which uses short tags,
>
> Unfortunately, I believe all of the browsers I've tested so far do not
> display this page correctly.  :(

Not surprising. Few of the current crop of browsers are based on an
SGML parser and they would pretty much have to be in order to get this
right.

Short tags are just one of many evils of HTML that have been fixed in
XHTML.

> Am I correct in that the results displayed should be:

> ....with the initial "Bold 1", "Bold 2", and "Bold 3" strings in bold
> (and no other parts in bold?

Yes. If you run the page through to W3 validator with the "Show Parse
Tree" and "Show Source" options turned on you'll get a sense of how
this should be treated.

Chris