Re: W3C HTML Validator: Last Modified?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:57:06 +0100 (BST)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
cc: "Harry Gibbens, Jr." <harryjr@deafworks.com>, <www-validator@w3.org>
On Tue, 7 May 2002, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Harry Gibbens, Jr. wrote:
> >I updated a webpage and validate it.  But, the validator keeps a memory of
> >an old webpage content (by looking at "Last Modified" line on the
> >validator).  I hit "Revalidate" button, hoping that the validator updates
> >its new Last Modified date.  No luck.

Sounds like an over-aggressive cache.  Could be your browser or ISP.

> Terje, do we send Cache-Control: no-cache and Pragma: no-cache?

IMHO that would be wrong.  ISTM perfectly reasonable that the validator
reports should be cacheable, and messing that up is going to annoy a
lot of users.  OTOH, it might possibly help with some caches if the
validator were to compute an Etag, and it could also set Last-Modified
to that of the page being validated.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.