Re: validator failed to spot a missing ">"

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 02:20:57 -0700
To: robin szemeti <robin@rszemeti.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
scripsit robin szemeti:
> On Thursday 02 May 2002 09:41, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > scripsit robin szemeti:
> > > shall I post a test case, or is this known-behaviour and already in hand?
> >
> > A test-case or example URI would be very helpful.
> OK .. I cut out the smallest piece that exhibits the effect ...

There are some strange constructs that are technically valid under SGML;
is this one of them?

When the DOCTYPE is manually overriden as XHMTL 1.0 Transitional, the
validator complains about the missing '>', as well as all the expected
problems with the <meta> elements.

Are we dealing with a validator bug or an actual difference between SGML and

Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology
Graduate Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul