Is ASCII passe?

From: Jeff Silverman <jeffs@kant.ee.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:01:38 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
I tried to run a web page with the content type meta tag of :

and the validator said:

Sorry! A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character
encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character
encoding yet, or you have specified
a non-existent character encoding (often a misspelling).

The detected character encoding was "ascii".

The error was "".

If you believe the character encoding to be valid you can submit a
request for that character encoding (see the feedback page for details)
and we will look into supporting it in the
future.

Is ASCII now considered passe?  I spent a good chunk of life memorizing
ASCII codes....

Many thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.