Is ASCII passe?

From: Jeff Silverman <jeffs@kant.ee.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:01:38 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
I tried to run a web page with the content type meta tag of :

and the validator said:

Sorry! A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character
encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character
encoding yet, or you have specified
a non-existent character encoding (often a misspelling).

The detected character encoding was "ascii".

The error was "".

If you believe the character encoding to be valid you can submit a
request for that character encoding (see the feedback page for details)
and we will look into supporting it in the

Is ASCII now considered passe?  I spent a good chunk of life memorizing
ASCII codes....

Many thanks,

Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.
Box 352500, Seattle, WA, 98125-2500 FAX: (206) 221-5264 Phone (206) 221-5394
jeffs@rcs.ee.washington.edu     http://rcs.ee.washington.edu/~jeffs