Table height attribute invalid for HTML 4.01

From: Neil J. McLeish <neil@neiljmac.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:35:49 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi.

I have just learned that the height attribute is not valid for HTML4.01, as
shown by using the validator service on this page i made:

http://www.ultimate-uk.com/rima/index.htm

The height attribute is very useful, as without it, the table you see on
that page would not be vertically centered on screen.  It would be aligned
at the top instead.

Although I have no statistics, I am sure that a great many other people
find it as necessary as I do, so why on earth is it not valid
HTML?  Personally, I can think of no reason and obviously the major browser
manufacturers, Netscape(Mozilla) and Microsoft must think it should be
valid too.

What's the story on this please?

Yours interestedly,

Neil J. McLeish