Re: Hyphens in comments

From: Olaf Buddenhagen <olafbuddenhagen@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:12:46 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi,

> It is allowed if you are careful and ensure that you use multiples of
> 4 hyphens and only put content in between matched pairs.
>
> <---- --this is valid-- ---->
>
> <----this is not---->

Well, I know what is valid in SGML... Only I thought that HTML
implements only a subset of SGML, and not everything valid in SGML is
also valid in HTML...

That's an awkward situation: Either we have to implement full valid SGML
comment parsing, and ignore the fact that it's probably not what the
author intended -- without even the possiblitiy of issuing a warning. Or
else we presumably violate the standard, and possibly complain about
valid HTML :-(

-Olaf-

--
Don't buy away your freedom -- GNU/Linux