Re: My validator patches

[Note: my email address has changed, I've resubscribed with the correct
one, ville.skytta@iki.fi]

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 00:07, Terje Bless wrote:

> >I sent my patches for validator a month ago, to the list; has anyone had
> >a look at them? At least as of now, none of them has made it into the
> >CVS.
>
> Hi, Ville, sorry it's taking so long. I've finally gotten around to
> applying some of your patches. They'll start appearing in CVS in the
> "validator-0_6_0" branch[0] soon. A few comments:

Ah, cool.  I was just about to ping again the status of the patches.

[...]

> * validator-paths.patch
> * validator-protocol.patch
> * validator-server.patch
> * validator-style.patch
> - All deferred until I have better time to integrate them.
>   (that might mean tomorrow or next year; my time for validator
>    is unpredictable, sorry!)

If you need more info about these, I'll be happy to help out.

> * validator-redhat.patch
> - Some of it will be obsoleted by other changes.
>   The rest will have to wait as above. I'll try to ping you again before
>   we release 0.6.0 so we can get at least this one sorted.

Yes, and actually this was/is never meant to be included in the W3C
distribution.  It only contains a couple of trivial changes in order to
make installation on a RedHat box easier.

> * validator-warnings.patch
> * validator-xhtml.patch
> - Both "rejected" in that I think I'm going to fix the real problems
>   instead of patching the symptoms. If that drags out I may look at
>   applying these as temporary measures, but I'd rather do it the
>   right way.

Ok.  But I think both of these patches contain some bits and pieces that
would be useful in any case.
Could you elaborate a bit more on how are you going "fix the real
problems", the XHTML ones in particular?  Using some kind of template
system, XML/XSLT, other?

> As I've mentioned before, I'm very gratefull for your taking the time to do
> this. My own time for hacking on Validator is sporadic at best these days
> and so any contribution is a great help. Your patches were very well done
> and dealt squarely with issues we need to fix. My thanks and kudos again!

Thanks to you for (finally :)) taking the time to check them out.  And
I'll be probably hacking on the validator in the near future too and can
help out every now and then.
By the way, what's your policy with CVS commit access?  At some point of
time, I guess I wouldn't mind having that... ;)

> BTW, cachalot.ods.org seems to be down ATM so I had to dig the patches out
> of Google's cache. Let me know if I've goofed anywhere or if I got stale
> copies of any of the patches.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.  I have no direct control over the machine,
I'll have to ping the admin.  The newest ones are attached.

> [0] - Which is so utterly broken that it doesn't even run on _my_
>       development system so it sure as hell won't run on your
>       production machine. Capiche? :-)

Ah.  I'll go take a look... suppose I want to submit patches in the near
future, is this the branch they should be against (not the HEAD)?

Cheers,
--
Ville Skyttä
ville.skytta@iki.fi