Re: validator allows border="none" on IMG

Phillip M. Stewart <pms@codenet.net> wrote:

>I noticed that a friend of mine's website validates as XHTML 1.O
>Transitional, but he uses border="none" on images. [...]
>
>I'm guessing this is a bug in the validator, but please correct me if
>I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, per se, but you're not quite right either. The issue is
that the validator for various reasons does not check the value of
attributes (apart from some very basic stuff). It will at some point in the
future possibly do this. In the mean time, you can use a lint of some form
in conjunction with the Validator to catch these errors.

I reccomend the included syntax checker in Bare Bones Software's most
excellent text editor BBEdit -- <URL:http://www.barebones.com/> -- which
would have cought this and is otherwise an excellent HTML editor. Mac OS
only I'm afraid, but I'm sure there are tools for other platforms which can
also get the job done.

--
I don't mind being thought of as a bad guy, but it /really/ annoys me to be
thought of as an *incompetent* bad guy! - J.B. Moreno <planb@newsreaders.com>