Re: Character encoding

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:43:30 +0100
To: martin.arundel@exxonmobil.com
cc: www-validator@w3.org
martin.arundel@exxonmobil.com wrote:

>Is there a change of adding the following codings for the uk please?
>
>Name: BS_4730                                           [RFC1345,KXS2]
>MIBenum: 20
>Source: ECMA registry
>Alias: iso-ir-4
>Alias: ISO646-GB
>Alias: gb
>Alias: uk
>Alias: csISO4UnitedKingdom

Martin (Dürst, all `round character encoding and i18n guru, and the guy
that handles all our character encoding issues) has a stated goal of
maintaining support for all the encodings in the IANA registry. All within
reason of course, and subject to the limitations of available technology,
but if it's possible we will try to support it.

I'll have to read up on RFC 1345 if Martin doesn't beat me to it, but that
looks suspiciously like a mutated version of US-ASCII to me. Are you sure
you wouldn't be better off converting your documents to that instead? It's
far better supported and so much easier to work with.

--
>I suggest you attend some sort of anger management class....

That's where you learn to upset the PHBs?                 -- Peter da Silva