Support UTF-16 in the validator?

From: Newton, Philip <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:31:05 -0500 (EST)
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
[Note: I am not subscribed to the list; email copies are appreciated.]

Hi, I have a page which is encoded in UTF-16 (specifically, UTF-16BE, though
it starts with a BOM). When I tried to validate it at
http://validator.w3.org/ , I was told that the encoding was not recognised
and to submit the encoding if I thought that was appropriate.

Well, since that page uses the "private use area" with characters in the
U+Exxx range, I picked UTF-16 since that uses two bytes per character as
opposed to three bytes per character for UTF-8 in that range.

Similar considerations might apply for CJK text which would be larger in
UTF-8 than in UTF-16. So I'd like to ask for UTF-16 to be supported in the
validator.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.