Encoding Requested Even When XML Decl. Is Ommited

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:43:26 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hi,

The W3C Validator begs for a character encoding even when the page in
question is being validated as XML, and the XML declaration is
missing. According to the XML specification, if a declaration is
missing, then the encoding is either UTF-8 (and possibly its subset,
US-ASCII) or UTF-16.

I know that there is much room for debate in this area (given section
6 in RFC 2854)... but it seems to me that the validator should be able
to gague the character encoding of an XHTML document without an XML
declaration. Surely you can't validate something as an XML document,
and then ignore other aspects of the XML specification?

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer