Re: validating asp code

Hi Nick

Thanks for responding. I recognize your name from the WAI's accessibility
list.

Let me first say that I'm not a programmer. I'm a web designer who works on
a web team along with a programmer so I understand only rudimentary asp
concepts. I get the feeling you are not impressed with asp but I don't have
a choice about it, it's what we use here.

I'm curious about this problem you mentioned as I can't reproduce it:

Here's another problem: where's the submit button on your Form?
> Oh, I see, if I load images I get that, though it still tells me
> my basket is empty after I select boots (blue, size 12).

My programmer tells me this is a cookie-based site. If you have cookies
disabled it's proabably why your basket registers as empty. And when I turn
images off, I see everything I need to see including the submit button which
is labeled Purchase. We've provided 4 action choices to the user in the form
of buttons - one of which submits the form.

Regarding the tiny text, I've been struggling with this issue. The WCAG's
tell us to use relative font sizing. I've occassionally had feedback about
the tiny text on another website but I've found those people all have their
default browser setting set to small. Sometimes the inheritance factor of
css causes nested elements to appear significantly smaller (example:  a <p>
within a <td> or nested lists) and sometimes not. While researching this
problem, I learned that there doesn't appear to be a "real tried and true"
answer to this problem beyond not nesting elements. As you know, applying
the font sizing to just the <body> tag does not work as it should.

I'm surprised to read that you don't agree that the demo cart is Double A
compliant. I take this issue quite seriously and although still a rookie at
it, I'm sure I'd met all the requirements. If you care to email me off list,
I'd love to hear the specifics of what is wrong.

I'd like to clarify this statement you made:

> I expect that what your server is sending to the validator is not the
> same as what it sent to your browser.  I'd suspect that might be down
> to ASP doing its own clue-challenged thing behind your back.  Page
> Valet confirms the same errors you reported in "basket.asp".

The validator (when hitting the icon on the page) shows the source code
where the basket is empty even though I had items in there when I sent it to
the validator. Do you think it has anything to do with the validator not
using cookies? Anything we can do about that? How do you do it? How do you
display dynamic content and get it to validate?

Also, you tell me my method of validating is wrong. That is good to know (I
had no one to show me). So, how do you do it?

Thanks for your help,
Michelle