Re: First post; mod_perl and installation issues

From: p kent <pkent77@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:11:54 +0100 (BST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

 --- Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote: >
> the validator and checklink.  The recent development has been going
> on
> in the validator-0_6_0 branch in CVS, and it seems that the tarball
> is
> made from CVS HEAD and so it is not really up to date.

OK, that makes sense. I saw that the datestamps were relatively old but
I didn't assume that implied anything bad. Can I assume that the 0_6_0
branch is stable enough for production use of the validator software? I
understand that the software's still in development though.

> see
> <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/?only_with_tag=validator-0_6_0>

Excellent stuff. The one thing that still sticks out in 'check' is the
use of '&' to prefix subroutine calls. This has the effect of disabling
prototypes. Some of the subs are defined with prototypes so you're
losing the benefit of protoypes by using the '&' syntax - so,
personally, I'd use the normal '$File = handle_uri($q, $File);' syntax
instead of '$File = &handle_uri($q, $File);'

I see there's a fair few calls to 'exit', which I'd been told were not
good under mod_perl (i.e. they caused the entire child process to exit,
not just the script). Maybe wrap the body of the code in an eval{} and
use die() to longjump out on a fatal error condition, print error
message, do cleanup, etc? Or am I wrong about exit()?

Apart from that I wondered why you need to untie *STDIN - AFAICT you
don't ever read from STDIN (you use CGI.pm, and that's a Good Thing!)
so I'd like to know how you got bitten by mod_perl - I'm always
interested in mod_perl gotchas, especially if I can avoid them :-)

But apart from that it all looks really great - thanks again for making
this available.

And thanks very much for your helpful reply, and I hope I can learn
from your experiences with mod_perl. I'll try out these new versions
from CVS too.

Do You Yahoo!?