<h1> within <p>

From: Richard Caylor <richardc@transition.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:54:45 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I did something like this in my html:

   <h1>foo</h1>

and the validator complains as follows:

   Error: end tag for element "P" which is not open; try removing the
   end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

This, of course, validates cleanly:

   foo

If <h1> is allowed within <p>, there's a bug in the validator.

If <h1> is not allowed within <p>, then shouldn't the validator say so
(when it encounters the <h1>) rather than silently ending the <p> and
leaving the user to wonder what happened? If I were an HTML guru, I
probably wouldn't need to bother with the validator. It took me quite a
while to boil it down to a few tags and figure out what it was
complaining about.

- Richard