illformed document validated

From: Karl-Michael Schneider <schneide@phil.uni-passau.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:58:28 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Below is a small test document which in my opinion is not valid html but is
validated by the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/.

Also the Show Source, Show Parse Tree and Show Outline options are ignored;
when a document validates, none of the information indicated by the options is
shown, and when it does not, the source is shown, regardless of the option
settings.

Please send a CC of your replies to my address as I am not subscribed to the
validator mailing list.

Regards,
Karl-Michael Schneider

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
  <title>Test</title>
</head>