Re: HTTP Expire Header for /check/referer

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0006@earth.li>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:35:15 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: Mikael Lind <z94lind@mtek.chalmers.se>

At 2002-07-10T06:54-0400, Mikael Lind wrote:-

> I use the HTML Validator service to validate the pages on my personal
> site. For convenience, I link to the validator using
> <http://validator.w3.org/check/referer>. The problem with this is
> that the validator results are cached within my browser (I use Opera
> 6.04 for Windows 98), meaning that I get outdated results, and
> somtimes results for the wrong page. Have you considered adding a
> HTTP Expire header?

I suppose the "best" solution would be to duplicate the cacheability
information from the document being validated. This problem could also be
fixed by making the referer script send a 303 (or maybe 302) response
redirecting to the check script with the URI in the query string. As a
workaround, you can use the "Revalidate" button.

Tim Bagot