Re: Reference to non-SGML character Error Message

From: Bob Rosenberg <webmaster@rockmug.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 00:47:08 -0400
To: "Kennedy, Richard T" <richard.t.kennedy@boeing.com>
Cc: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

At 16:13 -0400 on 06/27/2002, Kennedy, Richard T wrote about
Reference to non-SGML character Error Message:

><x-charset iso-8859-1>In HTML files with the following DTD
>certain character entities are flagged as errors. Please see the example
>  ... lass="bold">*M/S/C Creighton/O&#146;Keefe Moved to go into E ...
>                                               ^
>      Error: reference to non-SGML character
>I'm not exactly sure why that is technically invalid but I am not aware of
>any browsers that have a problem with it. The problem also happens with
>character entities &#148; &#150;

What CHARSET did you declare (or default to) in your META tag? If it
was ISO-8859-1 then the codes in the 128-159 codepoint range are
INVALID and should either be coded using &name; entries (such as
&ldquo;) or as their Unicode Codepoint equivalents (&#8016/17/20/21;
for the "curly quotes" if I remember correctly).

If you DO claim to be WIN-1252 then (at least in theory) the
Validator is in error since the use of the 129-159 codepoints are
VALID since they represent valid glyphs in that character-set.

>Also, I tried it with another DTD validator and it did not report a problem.
>Richard T. Kennedy
>The Boeing Company
>PO Box 3999  MC 8R-03
>Seattle, WA  98124-2499