Re: Softquad DTD?

At 10:50 pm +0100 31/1/02, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>* Nick Kew wrote:
>>Just encountered the following FPI:
>>
>><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
>  >"-//SoftQuad Software//DTD HoTMetaL PRO 6.0::19990601::extensions
>to HTML >4.0//EN" "hmpro6.dtd">
>  >
>>The local filename for a DTD is of course useless (surely softquad should
>>know better?), and http://www.softquad.com/ declines to load in Konqueror.
>>
>>Although it claims to be PUBLIC, none of the validators recognises it.
>>Should we have it, or is it pure bogus?
>
>I tried to find HoTMetaL DTDs several times, but I've never had success,
>so, how to recognize it?

I hope that I am not treading on Nick's toes, as he probably knows
much more about this than I do, but an example may help. One of the
more important DTDs for the web is this one

         "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

which originates from the W3C as the index case does from SoftQuad Software,
the main difference in the DOCTYPE being that this has a URL to
download the dtd from. Furthermore a spot of googling produces no
fewer than 15 200 hits on loose.dtd with over 2000 having pointers
to how to download; whereas there were only 45 hits on hmpro6.dtd,
most of which appeared to be the text of documents incorporating
the DOCTYPE, exempli gratia,

<URI: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/html-tidy/2001AprJun/0192.html >
<URI:
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/www/faq.html.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.3 >
<URI:
http://archives.hwg.org/hwg-style/000001c07ca9$4a09fe20$c813040a@agloster >

and I could not find a single site offering a download, videlicet

Hence the need to consider whether "hmpro6.dtd" is bogus.

Ben.