Re: Softquad DTD?

At 3:00 am +0000 28/1/02, Nick Kew wrote:
>On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Gannon Dick wrote:
>
>... did you notice their HTTP 404 error modifies your history list ?

How does an HTTP response modify a history list.

My observation is that something on the SoftQuad Site
(probably javascript) re-writes the requested URL (which
never gets added to the history) to force it into their
frames.

I think that it was this site that drove me to add the
comment to my SGML page (which I don't think is online
at present) that many of the SGML tool makers have sites
that are awful almost beyond words. A short while ago
I put some effort into trying to get hold of a copy
of XMetal, once I had seen their site I was less
bothered that I am unlikely to try their software.

One of my new year resolutions was to inform companies
whose sites were so bad that I wouldn't choose to do
business with them. The Abortext/Epic one is just
as bad. <URL: http://www.arbortext.com/html/products.html >.

The likelihood is that there are plenty of people
at such companies who know how things are, but
are powerless to do anything about it.

If you are looking for an XML editor then you might
want to look at ELF Data

>... (though the markup at
><URL:http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm>
>suggests otherwise).

The mark up looks OK to me; what did you have in mind.
FONT tags? WIDTH in TD tags. Neither of those
are real problems.

>It would be fine if they'd be so considerate as to publish it, and
>furnish us with a URL when they use it in a FPI!

I have looked for it before now and not found it.

HotMetal Pro 5.5 is currently on a magazine cover.

If memory serves, HotMetal has a 'reveal codes' option,
which I find quite useful, and apart form the DTD problem
it would be an excellent choice for a general purpose
HTML editor.

Ben.