Re: "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document..."

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:59:09 +0000 (GMT)
To: Franklen Choi <franklen@pacific.net.hk>
cc: www-validator@w3.org, <gerald@w3.org>
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Franklen Choi wrote:

> Example 2: Tidy converts many Chinese characters, and even tags, of my
> documents into "?" (The option 'raw' is already selected). (While  there
> is a  binary executable version of the program which supports Asian
> characters, it  is being in the state of 'unsupported'). This means I
> can hardly take the advantage of Tidy when many books and web-sites
> recommend it.

One of the few things that makes emacs worth using is that it
preserves binary characters (vi doesn't) . Look into emacs macros that
provide similar functionality to tidy...

> I really hope that internationalization is not something regarded as a
> luxury.

It would be nice to think that thanks to UTF-8, support for the
common subset and recognition and handling of binary strings should
improve.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>