Re: http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html

From: Sascha Claus <SC_LE@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:38:54 +0100
To: Michael Jackson <michael.jackson@bcs.org.uk>
CC: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>, www-validator@w3.org
Michael Jackson wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Sascha Claus wrote:
>><http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html>
>>
>><http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://validator.w3.org/>
>>
>>Perhaps Lynx doesn't support <meta http-equiv="..">.
>
> 	Sorry, that went over my head.  If you could be patient with
> 	my ignorance on such matters and perhaps attempt a little
> 	more helpful reply.  TIA.  -MJ.

The validator sends the encoding/charset as HTTP Header, the other site
doesn't. So Lynx gets no UTF-8 declaration from columbia.com. Perhaps
that's the reason for the difference. (Browsers don't need to support a
charset declaration via <meta>-tag.) Try

lynx -dump -head http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html

and

lynx -dump -head http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://validator.w3.org/

from the command line and have a look at the output.
--
Sascha »SCommmodore« Claus
mailto:SC_LE@gmx.de                                   PGP-key:0x9E095CA2