Re: Support for XHTML+SMIL?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Peter Sheerin wrote:

> Now that XHTML+SMIL is finally a REC, I've tried to actually use it in a new site design. But I can't get it to validate.

Erm, can you cite a reference for XHTML+SMIL being a REC?

> I'm not certain that the validator is actually supporting it, or if the error is on my part (and that of the w3 specs, which are far too sparse in complete example code that validates).

Yes, your markup is unsupported.

> The page in question: http://www.petesguide.com/CADcruise/template3.html
>
> I've started off the page with this:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+SMIL //EN"
>                       "http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/WD/xhtmlplussmil.dtd">
>       xmlns:smil="http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20" xml:lang="en">

That appears to be in order, in principle at least.

> But this page generates errors that I've never seen before, choking on Dublin Core metatags:

>                                     ^
> Error: parameter entity "BasicInlineTiming.attrib" not defined

That is totally bogus.  The "error" is arising not in your page,
but in the DTD modules.  Code Valet reports it as

Error:

At http://www.w3.org/2001/SMIL20/WD/SMIL-anim.mod, line 50, column 34

parameter entity "BasicInlineTiming.attrib" not defined

The underlying problem seems to be that the DTD you have used is
incomplete, and even bears a big "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" comment.

> What do I need to do in order to make this XHTML+SMIL document validate?

Alerting this list to the problem could be a good second step, after
checking the status of your DTD:-)

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>