opening a link in a new window (hope this is ok for this list)

From: Ian Christie <ichristie@bmts.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:09:10 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org
Below are the results of my running a page I'm working on, through the W3C
HTML Validator. I have the DocType set for XHTML 1.0 Strict.

My question is, since the target attribute of the anchor tags is not valid
in XHTML 1.0, how do I make a link that opens in a new window? The
attribute is not valid in HTML 4.01 Strict either.

Ian Christie

William just wanted to get at the truth.
Unfortunately, everyone else wants to get at William.
And it's only the third edition.
         -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth)