Re: Newbie just getting his feet wet...

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:29:38 +0900 (JST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
"Paul Stanley" <pauls@cox-internet.com> wrote:

> I looked through the HTML 4.0 spec (which I downloaded from the w3c
> site) and I can't find anything anywhere that states that this meta
> tag must appear in the <head>.

The meta element is defined in section of the HTML 4 spec [1].
The title of section 7.4 is "The document head" [2], namely section 7.4
explains elements that appear inside the head element.  The Document
Type Definition formally defines which element may and may not appear

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.4

Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium