Re: What happened to /check/referer ?

At 3:27 pm -0500 19/1/02, valid ator wrote:
>[ snip ]
>
>Long-term report:  After many months I finally stumbled across the cause of
>the problem with our links to http://validator.w3.org/check/referer not
>working properly (i.e. re-directing to http://validator.w3.org/ without
>reporting results), apparently intermittently, but really only from one
>PC.  The firewall on one PC was set to block Referer's from being
>sent.  That problem is obvious enough problem when you finally see
>it.  After changing settings to allow Referer's to go to validator.w3.org ,
>it now works just like it should.

That firewall setting was probably a security setting.

but see also

If it mattered enough to set it, do you know why it did not matter
that you unset it?

I have my browser configured to return the referer only within
domains, as otherwise my referer goes to every server serving
me IMGs and OBJECTs even where I have not specicially asked for
them.

Ben.