Re: problems installing cvs version

From: Wim Fournier <w3c@hsmade.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:24:22 +0100 (CET)
To: <link@pobox.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>, <w3c@hsmade.com>, <ville.skytta@iki.fi>

Terje Bless zei:
> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 12:08, Wim Fournier wrote:
>>
>>>I just installed the cvs version of the w3c validator. After wrestling
>>>through getting it to work [and failing].
>>
>>[...] I guess you're running the HEAD version of validator?  I
>>wouldn't recommend that (of course not knowing your intentions) for
>>anything else but validator development, it's in a unstable state
>>currently, with some biggish changes already happened and AFAICT
>>some coming up.  See validator-0_6_0-branch instead if you're
>>setting up a validator for validating stuff :)
>
> Yes. HEAD is more or less guaranteed to be broken at any given point in
> time. Stable code is branched off towards a release, such as the
> currently stable "validator-0_6_0-branch". You can get it by giving
> cvs:
>
>  cvs get -r validator-0_6_0-branch validator

Yep indeed... reason: see next part ;o)

>>Yes, the branches should really be documented more prominently on
>>validator.w3.org (if they're documented at all at the moment...).
>
> They aren't documented and, worse, the source download page points
> people at HEAD instead of the branch. :-(

indeed.. I was fooled ;o)
I saw that the beta validator on w3 (on port 8001) is running
Debian/apache. As this is the same as my config, I wonder if anyone could
post the apache config and install instructions/script?

Grtz,

Wim Fournier
wim@hsmade.[com|net|org]