Re: flakey charset detection

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:21:56 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>

David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:

>So far the *ONLY* user agent I've ever seen that has any problem parsing
>that is the current w3c validator.

Perhaps the User Agents you've seen have been the kind intended to be as
lenient as possible and to recover from almost any error imaginable? This
is quite contrary to the Validator's purpose, which is to be as strict as
possible in order to ensure that if it labels something correct then it
really _is_ correct and not merely passable after applying some random
error correction routines...

>And that's rather new behavior,

You are correct. This is a feature we added in the latest version.

--
>For all I know they probably have a standard for
>which direction to put the thread on a bolt.

That would be ISO 261:1973.         -- John Cowan