Re: flakey charset detection

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:45:14 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Brownell wrote:
>
>>I think META charset info in XHTML could rarely be anything except
>>trouble.
>
> Indeed, but per the spec, it's valid and in XHTML UAs expected to take
> effect (XHTML 1.1 normatively references HTML 4.01 for its semantics).

Semantics of "elements and attributes" only ... so I'd expect META
to work if anyone made the mistake of using it.  I didn't say it
shouldn't work, only that it'd be a bad idea to rely on it.  Ever.

>>More have found that using anything _except_ text/html is completely
>>unworkable.
>
> There is another option, one which seems to be often overlooked.
> Use HTML 4.01.

Not an option when the goal is to use XML-only toolsets to
read and write the content.  That's why it can be overlooked.

- Dave