Visual Impairment & PCs

From: Lois Nida <pixie1@gulftel.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:48:24 -0600
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hello,  I have a 49 yr. old daughter who had 4 strokes 2 yrs. ago; has impaired vision; would benefit greatly from having a computer & learning how to use it.
  She lives in Tiltonsville, Oh.;  I live in Alabama, so I can't help her much- long distance.
  Is there any agency or anywhere, or anyone who  helps  handicapped people get & learn how to use a computer?
  She is now unable to drive.
  Using a computer would be of benefit to her ego, her cognitive skills, her memory, & many other things that have been affected by the strokes.
  5 days after the strokes, she had a heart atack; 5 days later, she had bypass surgery & an artificial mitral valve implant.  this was done at Shadyside Hospital, in Pitts.  Her thalamus was affected by the strokes & she has pain constantly in her entire left side--which has nothing to do with using a computer, but diversions & interests of any kind are benificial to her.
  Your web site is WAY beyond my comprehension (I am self taught), but it certainly sounds interesting.
  I would appreciate any information you could give me.
Lois Nida
pixie1@gulftel.com
pixie is my cat, she allows me to use her computer.