Re: pls change main validator form back to GET

"Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote in message

> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 20:45, Terje Bless wrote:
> [...]
> > [ Still not stating opinion... ]:
> > >Strictly speaking these are two interpretations of the HTTP methods,
> >
> > Not necessarily. Iff a "TAG Finding" carries force of fiat then, by
the
> > policy we've traditionally adopted -- implement to the specs
regardless of
> > what we think of them -- we _must_ use GET for everything except File
> > Upload regardless of what is or isn't supported by the HTTP spec
because
> > the TAG's Finding overrules it.
>
> Consider the tag finding irrelevant. Or just a handy pointer to
> the relevant parts of the HTTP and HTML specs.
>
> [[[
> The "get" method should be used when the form
> ... causes no side-effects.
> ]]]
>   --

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.1
3.1

I think it's somewhat debateable that causing the webserver to make an
HTTP web request of its own to a 3rd party resource is not causing
side-effects.  I also don't see a problem with the idea that a single
form which when submitted _may_ cause a side effect should use POST even
when in some circumstances it won't.  Multiple forms which are not
conceptually distinct will do nothing but confuse the user.

>  -- http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.1.1

Using POST for the form does not disagree with this in the slightest, I
believe that POST is the correct method for a form which includes a form
upload, and I definately believe that anything other than a single form
is confusing to the user unless they're split onto seperate pages which
still puts extra barriers between users and the service.

Jim.