Re: Comments on New Validation Service

Terje Bless <link@pobox.com> wrote:

>Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/
>>Drafts/xmlenc-core/Overview. html
>>
>>Shows an overlap between the URI in "The document located at
>><URL:...>" and the navigation bar on the right.
>
>Ugh! Yeah. Strange; why won't it wrap that? It's just an <a> and not
>much styling. MSIE:mac and Mozilla shows the same behavior, but MSIE:win
>seems happy to wrap the text as normal.

Turns out the explanation is simple. The URI is all one word (no
whitespace), so when it gets to be wider then the width of the body it will
overlap the navigation menu simply because it contains no eligible wrapping
points (or so I've been told, in any case).

I've tried experimenting with inserting invisible whitespace (zero-width
space) at strategic locations, but unfortunately it seems like browser
support for this (even in Mozilla) is too weak. Pity. Guess we'll have to
live with the overlap for now.