Problems with the "Target" attribute of an <a> tag entry

From: Merlin Griscowsky <merlin.griscowsky@tekmerion.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:40:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out.

I was attempting to validate the following URL using the W3C HTML Validation
Service for HTML 4.01(Strict):

I managed to address all of the problems that it found, except for one.  The
validation service outputs an error on this page saying “Error: there is no
attribute "TARGET" for this element (in this HTML version)”.  The error is
addressed to the following line of HTML: <a
href="../downloads/GLA_Adoption_Application.PDF" target="_blank"> which is
on line 46 of my document.  Am I attempting something invalid (I want the
link to open up in a new browser window, because it takes a long time to
load), or is the validation service in need of a tweak?

Thanks in advance for your assistance – please direct your replies to: