Re: incorrect error messages (?)

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:39:49 +0100 (BST)
To: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0006@earth.li>
cc: www-validator@w3.org, "Scott S. Lawton" <ssl@prefab.com>

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tim Bagot wrote:

> But (in HTML 4.01 Frameset) the frameset element *does* have a rows
> attribute. The real problem is that it looks at the attributes before
> reporting that there is no frameset element in the chosen doctype.

Yes, of course.

The ideal solution would be (IMO) to complain about the bad element
but - having done so - to ignore the attributes.  However, this is
hard to do:

  (1) Any change to the messages within OpenSP to suppress the warning
      would also suppress it when it is needed - in the case of a
      valid element having a bogus attribute.
  (2) Outside OpenSP there isn't the machine-readable information
      with which to distinguish the message from any other.

The second-best solution I have adopted for Valet is to show all the
messages, but insert them in-place in the source listing so it's
visually clear they belong together as a group, and what they apply to.

--
Nick Kew