Re: validator does NOT validate XHTML 1.0

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:40:27 -0700
To: Christoph Schneegans <Christoph@Schneegans.de>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, "Devon Y." <vehementpetal@hotmail.com>

scripsit Christoph Schneegans:
> Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > That's _bizarre_, and very broken behaviour if the browsers do that.

[in reference to a browser supposedly refusing to render pages that
don't explicity set the xmlns attribute]

> Of course, the statement above is true only if the document is declared with
> a MIME type such as "application/xhtml+xml", and this behaviour makes sense
> in that case.

I don't follow.  You mean that IFF content-type is
application/xhtml+xml, the brokenness is correct?  Or that it's correct
IFF the content-type _isn't_ application/xhtml+xml?

Either way, I can't see how it could be correct behaviour under any

Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul