Quick DOCTYPE Declaration Question

From: R. Derek Pattison <rderekp@laughing-coyote.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:01:36 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

I've just noticed that most folks on this list display !DOCTYPE like this:

Does it matter if the URI for the DTD is on the second line or this whole
tag is on one line, or do people just separate them for code readability?
Please forgive this little question, I'm still relatively new to the
intricacies of making sure I'm writing standards-compliant code!

R. Derek Pattison
rderekp@laughing-coyote.com